Takeaway: A student had his legs and fingers amputated after consuming leftover takeout and developing deadly sepsis.

A student who developed deadly sepsis after eating his friend’s takeaway developed the condition.The man, only identified as JC, ate the takeout, a chicken noodle dish ordered by his friend the night before.

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, he became ill almost immediately.When he was taken to the hospital and sedated, he had a severe fever and a heart rate of 166 beats per minute.

The young man had no allergies and had received all of his childhood vaccinations According to doctor’s records.

According to the Journal,

After contracting sepsis, ‘JC’ had to have his limbs amputated. (Photo by Chubbyemu / YouTube)

According to the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM): “he rarely drank alcohol, smoked two packs of cigarettes per week, and smoked marijuana daily.”

“Diffuse abdominal pain and nausea developed after he ate rice, chicken, and lo mein leftovers from a restaurant meal”.

Chills, generalised weakness, increasingly worsening diffuse myalgia, chest discomfort, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and fuzzy vision followed the abdominal pain and vomiting.

“Five hours before this admission, purplish discolouration of the skin developed, and a friend took the patient to the emergency department of another hospital for evaluation.”

His condition worsened while he was in the hospital, and he had been airlifted to another hospital’s intensive care, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.

Purpura fulminans, a disorder produced by meningococcal illness that causes skin necrosis and can “rapidly” progress to multi-organ failure, was diagnosed.

The 19-year-old also had of his legs amputated below the knee as a result of his disease, as well as sections of all of his fingers.

The NEJM stated: “This patient had a prolonged hospital course with many complications of fulminant meningococcemia, including necrosis of the arms and legs and gangrene, which led to amputations of parts of all 10 fingers and¬†below-knee amputations.”

The young guy was working part-time at a restaurant while living in New England with his mother, brother, and three cats.

When the incident occurred, he was staying with a buddy for the week. The night before, his companion had eaten the same takeaway. While it made him feel a little queasy, he didn’t have the same level of discomfort.

According to the NEJM, the patent had no allergies and had been inoculated with all his childhood vaccines.

He had, however, forgotten to have his meningococcal vaccine booster shot, which is usually given at the age of 16. He drank beer rarely, smoked two packs of cigarettes every week, and smoked marijuana on a daily basis.

The man had not recently travelled abroad or had any exceptional exposures to animals or ill people, according to the NEJM.

The occurrence was termed as a “freak accident” by YouTube doctor Dr Bernard, who has said the 19-year-old was a student at the time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

PHP Code Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com