Jay Z, his wife Beyonce and her sister Solange Knowles say they have “moved forward as a united family” after a video emerged of Solange attacking the rapper in a hotel lift.
In their first public comments since the security video was leaked, the trio said in a statement that Solange and Jay Z have apologised to each other.
It said the two celebrities “each assume their responsibility for what has occurred and both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public”.
Solange, who is also a singer, was seen in the video lashing out at Jay Z and also kicking him as Beyonce stood by, appearing to show little reaction to what was going on.
A guard then intervened to stop the attack.
The statement also said: “As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident.
“But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it.”
Celebrity website TMZ posted the three-minute lift video on Monday, saying it was filmed last week inside the Standard Hotel in New York.
The video, which does not have sound, shows the performers in the outfits they wore to the Met Gala after-party.
The statement also said reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout the evening were false.
It continued: “At the end of the day families have problems and we’re no different.
“We love each other and above all we are family. We’ve put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same.”
The hotel says it has fired the person who leaked the video.